What should I do after a pedestrian accident?

When you are stuck by a car or truck, you should always call the police. Contact 911 to request medical help and the police to come to the scene, even if you feel okay. This will document the incident and clarify your next steps, such as going to the hospital.

At Smith Jordan Law, we strongly encourage you to get medical care at the scene and file a police report. Then, contact our Greenville pedestrian accident attorney for immediate help and guidance. We are here to help you navigate the entire process of getting compensation for your losses when determining what you should do after a pedestrian accident.

what to do after a pedestrian accident

What are the steps to take after a pedestrian accident?

When you are involved in a pedestrian accident, your priority is your health and well-being. Here are several things you can do at that moment and right after.

Call 911 to get medical care and law enforcement

Talk to the police and medical team about what happened so you can get the care you need. Do not put yourself in further danger by trying to move if you cannot do so. Go to the ER and get care if needed.

It is always wise to work with the police to fully document what occurred at the scene. Most pedestrian accidents are caused by driver negligence or inattention, although there are times when the pedestrian may be at fault. Police officers often mark the pedestrian at fault, even when they did not do anything wrong.  A skilled attorney can help you determine who is liable for your injuries.

Document what is occurring when you can

Whenever possible, take photos and videos of what is occurring. This is a good way to document people who were present and to ensure that you capture any details of the incident that could later prove your case. Do not do this if you are at risk of being hurt in any way.  Also, make sure to get any witness names and contact information, even if you think the police got their information.

File a police report

You may need to file a police report at the hospital (if the police come with you) or later after you are discharged. Be as accurate and detailed as possible throughout this process. Make sure you only communicate the facts of the case, though. Do not say, “I think” or “I know I should have looked.” These types of statements put you at risk for some of the blame.

Contact your attorney

Your personal injury attorney should begin working with you immediately to create a strong path forward. At Smith Jordan Law, we take the following steps:

  • We gather evidence of what occurred as soon as possible to minimize any loss of that information.
  • We talk to all witnesses and everyone involved.
  • We will pursue any medical records that could indicate the driver was intoxicated.
  • We help you to document your losses going forward.
  • We manage the claims process while you continue to receive medical care.

Throughout this period, you will have constant communication with our team. We want you to focus on meeting your doctor’s care objectives, including going to therapy, seeing the specialists, and getting the rest you need. Let us focus on identifying those held responsible and protecting your rights.

Schedule a free consultation with us to discuss your pedestrian accident

When you learn what to do after a pedestrian accident, you may be unsure what to do next. Contact our attorney at any time during this process, and let us go to work for you right away. At Smith Jordan Law, our dedicated and aggressive attorneys will stay by your side throughout this process to minimize any risks to you. Call us at (864) 343-2222 to schedule a free consultation.

Related articles for further reading

Related Posts

Recent Articles

car accident at work
What if I have a car accident at work?
May 28, 2024
what to do after an injury
What should I do after an injury?
May 23, 2024
Man dealing with a pre-existing injury visits doctor after workers' compensation accident
Can you get workers’ comp for a pre-existing injury?
April 2, 2024

We would love to help!

Contact us for a free consultation.

Call Us: (864)343-2222

1810 East Main Street Easley, SC 29640